Target supports the Safe Motherhood Project with CARE in Bangladesh
CARE Australia is an international humanitarian aid organisation fighting global poverty with a special focus on empowering women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. CARE has been working in Bangladesh since 1949.
Despite rapid development, mother and child mortality remains too high in Bangladesh. This is caused by a lack of awareness about reproductive, maternal and child health issues, with the poorest members of the community most at risk.
In 2014, Target partnered with CARE to deliver The Safe Motherhood Program which supports women and their families in Gazipur by delivering vital pre and post-natal education programs and by connecting them to lifesaving healthcare services.
With Target's support, the Safe Motherhood Program will improve the lives of women and children in Gazipur.
As a result of this project, the following outcomes are expected by 2017:
- 32,000 pregnant women will be reached with antenatal care;
- 20,000 pregnant women will be reached with postnatal care;
- 3,600 women with complicated pregnancies will receive life-saving support;
- 22,000 newborn babies will receive essential newborn care; and
- 20,000 children under five years of age will receive essential health care.
Target has a number of factory partners based in the region. By having a presence in places like Gazipur we can play an important role in improving the lives of not only workers in factories producing products for us, but also the wider community.